Coconut oil is used not only for food, but also to maintain beauty. It is extremely rich in healthy fatty acids.
- nourish and moisturize the hair;
- stimulate hair growth;
- help it grow healthier, thicker and denser;
- effective against seborrhea and fungal infections of the scalp;
- can replace even expensive salon products for deep conditioning.
Advantages of coconut oil for hair:
- Coconut oil is one of the richest natural sources of saturated fatty acids. It contains a lot of lauric acid – from 45 to 53% of the total amount of fat. It has a regenerating effect and promotes healing.
- Linoleic acid is necessary to prevent the loss of moisture from the hair body. Thanks to it, the hair becomes more elastic, thicker, stronger, they have a healthy, attractive appearance.
- The main substance that makes up the hair is keratin. With its loss, the hair loses its elasticity, becomes brittle, thinned, dry.
- Coconut oil also contains vitamin E and phytosterols. Vitamin E is a natural antioxidant. It contributes to the saturation of cells with oxygen, improves blood circulation, stimulates cell renewal. Phytosterols prevent the loss of collagen and stimulate its production. They reduce the tendency of the skin to allergic reactions, fight inflammation.
Properties of coconut oil for hair
- Lauric acid, which is rich in coconut oil, has antimicrobial, bactericidal properties.
- Oleic acid helps to retain moisture in the hair, restores protective functions. It is a powerful humidifier.
- Tocopherol protects the hair from the negative effects of the environment.
- Caprylic acid helps regulate the pH level. Regulates the sebaceous glands.
- Coconut oil protects, moisturizes and nourishes the hair according to its properties.
How to choose coconut oil for hair
Not every coconut oil is suitable for hair care. The best thing is unrefined organic coconut oil. It provides the maximum of useful benefits and has the highest content of saturated fatty acids and antioxidants.
Refined coconut oil is devoid of color, taste and pleasant sweet smell, it is suitable for cooking, but not for self-care. Fractionated coconut oil is liquid, it also has no antioxidants, but it has all the useful fats.
Buy organic coconut oil only in glass containers, as pure coconut oil can react with the toxins contained in the plastic, absorbing them.
When not to use coconut oil
Coconut oil is not a universal panacea for all hair types. Hair with different structures reacts to coconut oil in different ways.
- Coconut oil is suitable for those who have thin, brittle and dull hair.
- Owners of thick hair should choose other means. After all, coconut oil will only make their hair heavier, which will cause them to break and fall out.
- For oily hair, do not use coconut oil too often. A few times a month will be enough.
- And, of course, do not use this oil if you are allergic to coconuts.